This may seem like an obvious section to add to my website, but you’d be surprised at the amount of times I’ve been asked how to clean a toilet properly. First and foremost, it’s the most hated household job anyone can have and I’m sad to say it’s usually the lady in the home that ends up doing it (unless of course, there is no lady).
So, for those of you that have no idea how to clean a toilet both effectively and safely, I’ve decided to add this page for you. Incidentally, my wife gave me some tips for this one (thanks Sarah)!
What You Will Need
You may be surprised to know how quickly this job can be done, you just need the right tools. Here’s what you will need:
- Paper towels – This is much better than using a cloth because you can simply throw them away once you’re done. This helps to stop bacteria from spreading.
- Rubber gloves (for exactly the same reason as above). In fact, it’s probably better to use gloves that can be thrown away once you’re done.
- Some all-purpose cleaner for general areas.
- A Toothbrush (for those hard to reach areas). Just one small note here. DO NOT keep the toothbrush in the bathroom! Instead, hide it away so someone can’t use it to clean their teeth.
- Some toilet bowl cleaner.
- And last but not least, a toilet brush.
Once you’re armed with the Tools
It’s all about a thorough clean that will get rid of any nasty bacteria you can’t see (as well as all the nasty things you can)! And, making sure you don’t transfer what you’ve cleaned away onto anything else in the home.
We all know the bowl, toilet seat and lid should get a thorough wipe down but don’t forget things like the handle and the base (something I’m always told off for when I clean the toilet in our home). As I’ve said this job can be done very quickly, in fact it can take as little as 3 minutes if you don’t have any heavy duty dirt to deal with.
Keeping your toilet clean will not only stop people in your home from contracting nasty viruses due to the bacteria that can hang around, but it will also keep your bathroom smelling fresh.